- Checked by Kay Jones
- Published For
Blueprint Gaming takes us down memory lane with the ThunderCats slot. Back in the 80s, it was a huge hit, so much so that it wasn’t uncommon seeing an action figure in the school yard or next to the lockers. The arcade-like audio evokes a degree of pleasant remembrances, mainly because, all of us enjoyed our school days. Whenever an online casino studio takes an off-the-shelf theme, the game at hand can be a hit or miss. If the designers are well familiar with the said theme, or brand, or superhero, the game ends up how the loyal fans have imagined it. However, in the past, we’ve witnessed some catastrophic misses. Fortunately, Blueprint Gaming has done a great job!
18+ BeGambleAware.org. T&Cs apply. New reg only. Opt in & deposit £10, £25 or £50 within 7 days & further 7 days to wager cash stakes 35x to unlock reward (£50 on 2 deposits). 3 day exp. Wagering/game contributions vary. 25 wager-free spins x10p to added to Big Bass Splash with each qualifying deposit, 3 day expiry.
First and foremost, do not underestimate the seemingly short reels. The symbol grid is still a 5x4, featuring a total of 30 paylines. Nevertheless, the reels can expand, ergo set the ground for higher chances of winning, and overall, higher prizes. The reels can expand showing up to 8 symbols each! That’s 8 rows, 5x8 symbol grid!
Adjusting the bet size should be the first thing on your mind when the game loads. Players can enjoy the ThunderCats slot with a minimum stake of 0.40, whereas the maximum possible bet amount is staggering 500. Landing 5 or more Wild symbols will bring you the jackpot, which is 400x the bet amount. Nevertheless, in our opinion, you should aim for the bonus feature prizes, not the base game wins. All things considered, the overall RTP is 95.5%, which is below the market average.
The best part about the ThunderCats slot is that you get to play with each character, which is randomly selected. Each character comes with a distinctive bonus feature which can take place in the base game. However, before we through each of them, we should point out that the Wild symbol takes the shape of the featured, currently active character, or it can also be the ThunderCats symbol. Lastly, the Bonus symbol shows the Logo of ThunderCats.
Now we can go through each of the characters, pointing out the benefits they bring on the reels. Note, you can’t choose the character with whom you want to play with before at the start of the game. You will be given options down the road, to keep playing with the current selected character or ReSpin, and start playing with a different one.
- Lion-O – Lion-O – Any Sword of Omens appearing in the 3rd reel trigger random wilds. This sounds pretty modest, but if you manage to trigger it while the reels are expanded, showing 8 rows of symbols, prepare for some gigantic prizes.
- Tygra – Blueprint Gaming kicked it up a notch with the Tygra character bonus feature. As it turns out, any Wild that appears on the reels will pay you the win if a winning line is formed, but then it transforms into a Stacked Mystery symbol. In our experience, this proved to be the most frequent out of all character bonus features.
- Cheetara – Although it has a rather specific, narrow trigger mechanism, Cheetara is also here to actually help. When the special Cheetara Wild appears on reel 1 a mystery streak commences. A cool animation starts, and mystery symbols appear. Once the bonus feature ends, these mystery symbols turn into one, identical symbol.
- Panthro – We recommend choosing Panthro, because it can turn a low paying symbol combo into a memorable win. Panthro Reels are active in the base game, and there’s a chance that on any spin two or more reels can link, showing blocks of symbols, one or two. However, this can happen to all reels, including the 1st one! Moreover, the reels can randomly expand when two or more reels are linked. Unlike the other characters, Panthro guarantees prizes.
- Wily Cat – If you’re playing with Wily Cat there’s a chance that Two Stacked Wilds appear on any spin. Moreover, Wily Cat will multiply any winnings by 2!
As you can see, the characters really make for a custom experience, and it’s highly unlikely that two sessions can ever be the same. In other words, ThunderCats can be the entertaining slot you’ve been looking for all this time. Now, let’s take a look at the two features that can trigger during base game.
- Thunder Reels – Plain and simple, the Thunder Reels can be triggered, which make the reels expand, up to 8 rows. It can trigger during base game and during bonus feature rounds, which is absolutely amazing!
- Snarf can also appear and turn a losing spin into a winning one. Also, snarf can improve the already active character modifier. Bear in mind, Snarf shows up randomly, and it also increases the number of Bonus symbols on the reels, ergo increasing the chances of winning more.
So far we’ve covered the basics, or in other words, what can happen in the base game. It’s time to check out the distinctive Free Spins and the bonus games.
The villains are featured in the Free Spins and the bonus games, that’s why the said features are titled in that manner. Mumm-Ra, Slithe, Monkian, Jackalman are about to clash with the iconic ThunderCats. Depending on the number of Bonus symbols that appear on the reels, you can be taken to the Thunder Bonus where you can trigger one of the below mentioned bonus features. You can either take it or Gamble it, and trigger better Free Spins rounds.
Here’s a brief description of what you should know about each of them, before you gamble them away.
- Thunder Bonus – This is where it all starts. You’re here if you get 3 Bonus symbols.
- Ultimate Thunder Spins – This is where you want to be. You trigger the Ultimate Thunder Spins if you get 5 Bonus symbols. You can get these Free Spins if you “Gamble” your way through the Thunder Bonus.
- Mumm-Ra Free Spins – Each of these brings 10 Free Spins, including Mumm-Ra. All Wilds that appear during the Free Spins are added to the Mumm-Ra bank. During the so called Ever Living spin, which takes place after the Free Rounds are over, all Wilds are put back on the reels, but this time around, the reels show 8 rows of symbols.
- Slithe Free Spins – Slithe brings Sticky Wilds on the reels. Besides the 10 Free Spins, you can also get additional 5 Free Spins, if there’s a whole stack of Sticky Wilds appearing on any reel.
- Monkian Free Spins – The fierce Monkian features Monkian Zones which fall from the top of the screen. All parts of the zones that end on the reels, turn into Wild symbols. Similar to Slithe, Monkian brings the opportunity to win additional 5 Free Spins, through the ThunderCats symbol on the 5th
- Jackalman Free Spins – Lastly, Jackalman also entertains you with 10 Free Spins. Any Wild that appears on the reels increases the multiplier, up to a factor of 10x. Like Monkian and Slithe, Jackalman can give you up to 5 additional 5 Free Spins.
It’s a content rich slot, and due to the variations and the bonus feature diversity, both fans of the TV series ThunderCats and players who’ve never heard of it will enjoy it, for sure! We liked it, mainly because of the well-defined, but also rewarding features. The hit rate is rather low, but the profit potential of the bonus features makes up for this. Blueprint Gaming created a unique masterpiece!