- Checked by Thomas Williams
- Published For
Planet of the Apes, a novel published in 1963 turned into film series in 1968 and rebooted in 2011, it’s safe to say it’s been pretty successful. In fact, it’s so successful, we got a Planet of the Apes slot! NetEnt’s the lucky studio that got the rights to design and market this dystopian “story”. Caesar and Dr. William made the wheels turn, and they made a big mess. The Planet of the Apes slot by NetEnt is based on two installments, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It’s a highly advanced video slot with state of the art game mechanics and bonus features, worthy of the franchise.
It’s a distinctive video slot, featuring two different sets of reels. The two 5x3 symbol grids are in fact 10x3. The left set of reels is based on the Rise of the Planet of the Apes, whereas the right one depicts the story told by the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Nevertheless, in spite of these colossal differences, NetEnt kept the bet settings and the game controls intact. That being said, there are 20 paylines and you will be familiar with the bet sizes. The hit rate is not that important to us, because it showcases a number of bonus features. After all, the game has 10 reels in total! Nonetheless, this is a visual masterpiece, pleasing to the eye, which is why it’s highly unlikely that’d be the case with your wallet.
For the most part, your wins will come from the Rise symbol grid due to the basic game rules. However, these two symbol grids clearly can interact with each other, meaning the symbols on the one end affect the symbols on the other grid. We’re going to take a closer look at each of the special features in the following section of the Planet of the Apes slot review.
The characters are based entirely on the protagonists and the antagonists from the two movies, including the Wild and the Scatter symbols. The Wild takes a simple form, whereas the Scatter is detailed showing Caeser before and after the full evolution. Note, the Scatter symbols on are counted separately, meaning if you have 2 on one symbol grid and 2 on the other, in practice, you have only 2 scatters. Besides Caeser and his fellow apes, unsurprisingly, humans can reward you as well.
The Planet of the Apes slot greatly resembles to Microgaming’s movie themed slots, in specific, how the movie segments are displayed, and the overall engine. However, we can’t blame them or accuse them of anything. This is, after all, the best way to do it.
Although there are several of them, they’re not confusing at all. In fact, it took us only a few minutes to realize the fun potential, but the profit potential of Planet of the Apes. Is there room for any extra features? We prefer the paytables simple enough for new players, but complex as well, so even experienced players are excited about it.
- Rise & Dawn Bonus Feature - The first feature on the menu is called the Rise Bonus Feature. Whenever the Rise Bonus Symbol lands on reel 1 on the Rise symbol grid, the player is given a coin, which increases for every Human and Ape symbol currently displayed on the reels, scatters excluded. Moreover, any line wins that might come up are also added. Similar to the Rise Bonus Feature, there’s a Dawn Bonus Feature. It works the same way, however, it can appear only in the Dawn symbol area.
- Stacked Wild Feature – This is the feature we like the most because it fully utilizes the two separate symbol areas, or symbol grids as we like to call them. If a reel on the Rise area is covered with Wild symbols, an entire reel on the Dawn area turns into Stacked Wilds, or Wild Reel. The Stacked Wilds are duplicated in the corresponding position, meaning, if the 2nd Rise Reel is the Wild one, the 2nd Dawn Reel will be covered with Stacked Wilds.
- Rise Free Spins – The titles of the bonus features deserve to be changed. This way, they’re self explanatory, which is not all that bad. 3 Scatter symbols in the Rise area trigger 10 Free Spins. A Wild symbol count will track how many Wild symbols have appeared throughout the Free Rounds. During the last spin, all Wild Symbols are randomly placed on the Rise area.
- Dawn Free Spins – Contrary to what we believed, the Dawn Free Spins bring forward unique bonus elements. For starters, it takes 3 Scatter symbols to trigger 15 Free Spins. There are 3 different symbols that affect the outcome in a different manner. For example, you can get a better multiplier, you can get Extra Wilds and Extra Free Spins. As you collect the special symbols, the meter is filled.
What Free Spins are better? The Rise Free Spins promise and deliver a consistent prize, whereas the Dawn Free Spins are fairly volatile.
Planet of the Apes is a great franchise and we’re glad it became part of the casino industry, one way or another. It showcases exceptional video qualities accompanied by appropriate audio effects. The bonus features proved to be pleasing to the eye, but generous to our balance as well!
However, we don’t like it as much because there isn’t a randomly triggered bonus feature. For example, in order to start any of these rewarding features a bonus symbol or a scatter symbol must appear on the reels. An out of the blue bonus game or a simple bonus win would’ve been great!
However, let’s not go over the top. The Planet of the Apes slot rocks as it is!