- Checked by Thomas Williams
- Published For
Set foot on an adventure shoulder to shoulder with Hansel and Gretel! These brave little siblings are brave and they’ll stay with you regardless of what shows up on the reels. Following the exceptional success of the first in line of the Fairytale Legends, NetEnt launched another stellar slot release, Fairytale Legends: Hansel and Gretel, based on the story as told by the brothers Grimm.
It’s packed with a number of different bonus features. However, we deem that the fact that they show up frequently is even more important. Is the slot rewarding? Can Hansel and Gretel entertain you with a whole house of candy? Let’s find out!
At first glance, Fairytale Legends: Hansel and Gretel looks like a regular slot from the studio of NetEnt. It’s a 10 payline slot, but it works differently. Winning lines do not have to start from the leftmost reel, instead they can start anywhere as long as 3+ symbols are on the reel. In other words, the winning line can start on the 2nd reel, go through the 3rd and end on the 4th. It’s similar to both ways slots, but better!
Since it has only 10 paylines, NetEnt decided to give the maximum coin value a little boost. That being said, the coin can have a value between 0.01 and 2.00. In practice, the minimum bet is 0.10 and high rollers can gorge on this adventure with bets up to 200. The base game will not bring you high rewards, but wins are rather frequent.
In all honesty, the game does look like as if it was taken out of a storybook. NetEnt pays a great deal of attention to details, Hansel and Gretel is not an exception. As you might’ve expected from a slot based on a story that includes candy, there are symbols that portray candy, sweets and chocolate. However, these are the low paying ones. Hansel, Gretel and the logo of the game are the ones you want to see most of.
Now, NetEnt kicked it up a notch with the bonus features. There’s too many of them and all of them are named pretty much the same. We love slots with many bonus features, but this comes at a price, making the game too confusing.
As we said, there are quite a lot of bonus features, we’re going to take a look at each of them and point out the most rewarding one.
- Stacked Wild Re-Spin – Rewarding they are! They can appear on reels 2 and 4, but only in the main game. Once the Stacked Wilds appear, a Re-Spin is triggered, giving you, in practice, one free spins with Stacked Wilds. Occasionally, you can get another Stacked Wild reel positioned on reel 1 or reel 5.
- Fairy Wonder Spin – Because of how the game works, this bonus feature pays a lot! 5 to 9 of the highest paying symbol appear on the reels, in a cluster, meaning they’re not randomly positioned.
- Fairy Surprise – Nobody likes a no win spin. Thanks to the generous Fairy, a randomly selected symbol gets copied on the reels. The key point to note, low paying symbols are replaced with the selected symbol. If this wasn’t the case, the Fairy Surprise bonus feature would’ve affected the RTP in a negative manner.
- Fairy Wild Spin – Bear in mind, this is not the Stacked Wild Re-Spin we mentioned earlier. The aforementioned one triggers after Stacked Wilds appear on the reels. This time around, two full stacks of Wilds appear on reels 1, 2, 4 and 5. Besides this, you still get the Re-Spin!
- Candy House Bonus – It’s one of the three bonus features that gets triggered by landing the bonus symbol represented by a Treasure Chest on reels 1, 3 and 5. This particular bonus game is a pick and click round in which players need to select 3 out 15 candies. Each candy hides a multiplier between 2x and 120x. You can choose the average value of the three hidden multipliers, or try your luck and select one of them. We recommend sticking to the average multiplier if it’s beyond the 15x threshold.
- Free Spins – The 2nd feature you can trigger with the Treasure Chests are 10 simple Free Spins. What you win is what you get. No special elements you should be aware of.
- Coin Win – In other words, this is a cash prize. Once you land the three Treasure Chests, one of the options is this. You will be rewarded with a cash prize of 15x the current bet.
In our experience, the standard Stacked Wilds Re-Spin proved to be the most rewarding one out of all bonus features. If you land 3 Bonus Symbols, hope for the Free Spins!
The release of Fairytale Legends: Hansel and Gretel hints there will be more slot games based on epic stories we all know and love. This particular one is packed with a lot of bonus features, and the mechanics of the base game are simply stunning! The hit rate is above average, RTP looks promising and the bonus features are entertaining. Are you ready for an adventure?