Curacao Casinos in 2023
Having been around for over two decades now, Curacao eGaming is one of the oldest licensing authorities.
Their 'one license' policy is convenient and it opens the doors to a wide range of regions such as Australia. Safety can sometimes be a concern but this is why we'll guide you through all aspects of Curacao licensed casinos.
Above all else, we've focused on preparing a list of safe, trusted top Curacao casinos for your browsing leisure.
The Best Curacao Casinos
- No deposit bonus
- 24/7 customer support
- Over 2000 games
- No deposit bonus
- Unique game selection
- Multiple welcome offers
- 24/7 live chat
- Generous welcome offer
- Diverse payment options
- Great range of games
- 8 languages available
- Good range of payment methods
- Great choice of games
- Ongoing promotions for players
- Bitcoin accepted
- Good bonus offering
- VIP club
- 24/7 live chat
- Wide range of live games
- Instant e-wallet withdrawals
- Games from 50+ providers
- Selection of jackpot slots
- Phone support available
- Range of bonuses
- Huge range of software providers
- Local payment methods
- Valuable welcome bonus
We have dived right in with our best casinos Curacao list above. As mentioned previously, online casinos with this license are in abundance. When you consider the leeway online gambling operators within this jurisdiction are given, finding a trustworthy site is hard. This makes our top list more important than ever. There are some safe Curacao casinos out there and we suggest you check out our casino reviews on each.
If you're a new player then you're also going to want to pick up a welcome bonus along the way. Most Curacao casinos will offer some sort of first deposit bonus. Some will even include a no deposit bonus, as is made clear in our list from earlier on. Of course always check back to the full terms, particularly when it comes to casinos in Curacao.
Are Curacao Casinos Reliable?
As we mentioned earlier on, Curacao eGaming does have somewhat of a tainted past. This is due to controversies associated with money laundering and pirated games. This is one of the reasons why Curacao casinos cannot accept players from the UK any longer.
Luckily, they have cleaned up their act in recent years. Then again, it is still much easier to obtain this type of license when compared to others. Once licenses, the hands-off approach with regards to Curacao casinos could also lead to potential issues dealing with reliability. To help get a better idea of security, we'll compare it to the other two major licenses, namely MGA and UKGC.
Curacao Gambling Commission VS. UKGC
- Responsible Gambling - Online casinos for UK players must adhere to strict regulations to ensure the protection of vulnerable parties. Curacao casinos find themselves on the other side of the spectrum and there have been instances where these seals were found to be fake.
- Casino Games - UK players can rest assured that online casinos are working with the most reliable software providers out there. Casino sites must also show proof that their games are RNG tested such as via an eCogra seal of approval. Casinos in Curacao have had issues with pirated games in the past.
- Payment Methods - Most UK casinos work with the best PSPs out there including the likes of PayPal. Curacao licensed casinos are known to work with bitcoin.
- International Reputation - UK players are only able to play at casinos licensed by the UKGC. Curacao licensed casinos will accept players from almost any country.
- Anti-Money Laundering - Casino sites in the UK have the best track record out there. A Curacao license is considered a place holder and nothing else which means there is little monitoring.
Curacao eGaming License VS. MGA
- Responsible Gambling - Although Malta-licensed online casinos are not up to the same level as the UK, they are still streets ahead of the Curacao License. Whilst the latter adopts a hands-off approach, online casinos in Malta are subject to regular audits.
- Casino Games - Again, MGA online casinos work with trustworthy game providers only. They are more lenient than the UK Gambling Commission but still better than Curacao that works with practically all software providers.
- Payment Methods - Whilst not able to offer PayPal, online casinos in Malta still work with quality banking solutions. Curacao casinos need a PSP license for a number of their target countries. This becomes a big issue in places like Australia.
- International Reputation - The MGA license is not as reputable as a UK one but it is still considered trustworthy. Curacao offers none.
- Anti-Money Laundering - Malta casinos have had issues in the past but have really cleaned up their act lately. Casino sites in the Caribbean jurisdiction are showing no signs of improvement.
New Curacao Casinos Online
New casinos can raise some doubts at the best of times due to their lack of experience. Given the history of Curacao casinos, this lack of trust is even more evident. That's something that we'll take a look at very soon.
For the time being, it's important to understand that some newcomers in this jurisdiction are indeed worth joining. This is why our best casinos Curacao list includes new sites too. For a more detailed list, you can also check back to our dedicated page for recently launched casinos.
New Curacao casinos are all looking to impress. You may have noticed from our list from earlier on, that many of them do this by offering an extensive welcome package. As always, we recommend reading our full review of any casino before joining.
Accepted Payment Methods at Curacao Casinos
Technically, Curacao licensed casinos can work with some of the most reliable payment providers out there. These include the likes of Skrill, Neteller as well as others. Proof of investment in PSPs is actually a requirement of all Curacao casinos.
The issue comes into place when you look into the countries targetted. Curacao casinos are able to accept players from countries like Australia and Canada, but a PSP license is needed. Banks will actually block transactions in some instances which is why Aussie players encounter so many difficulties in online deposits and cash-outs.
Many Curacao casinos have in fact turned to bitcoin as an alternative. Since the player remains anonymous, it is easier to transact by means of crypto. Of course, this comes with a whole new grey area of its own and it can raise further doubts amongst players. In fact, many casinos in Curacao actually offer bitcoin specific welcome bonuses to try and combat this. The good side to this is that e-wallets like Neteller aren't eligible for most deposit bonuses.
Top Software Providers at Curacao Casinos
Players at Curacao casinos shouldn't encounter any issues when it comes to casino games. Licensed online casinos are able to work with some of the top providers out there including Microgaming and NetEnt. As was the case with payment methods, country restrictions still apply on Curacao casino games. For instance, players from Australia often have access to less conventional games studios like IGTech.
You will find some Curacao casinos still offering NetEnt slots, video poker and table games in restricted countries. We would definitely suggest you steer clear of these sites. There have been issues in the past with piracy and we wouldn't want you to end up having issues when you want to cash funds.
With the rise of crypto-casinos, we have also seen providers like BGaming and SoftSwiss become popular here. Real-Time Gaming is also big with Curacao-licensed casinos. While it can sometimes be a good option for Aussie players, we would recommend alternatives because of their issues with game fairness.
Best Slots at Curacao Casinos
Now that you have a better idea of the games studios available at Curacao casinos, we'll list the top slots to play.
For those players who want something more than slot machines and progressive slots, live dealer games are also available. Some Curacao casinos will even offer games by industry leader Evolution Gaming. We have also seen the rise of live casino providers like Lucky Streak to help open up the doors to countries like Australia.
Pros and Cons of Curacao Casinos
New customers looking to sign up to a Curacao casino site may have some concerns. This said, there are some good sides to the license. We'd suggest checking back to our section on safety for more information.
Not all Curacao casinos are looking to abuse the 'hands-off' approach. This is why we listed some of the top sites earlier on. Not only do they offer a great welcome bonus but they have been deemed trustworthy. Of course, this is all listed out clearly in our Curacao casino reviews.
In the meantime, we'll leave you with a list of pros and cons, to sum up everything we have looked into.
How to Get a Curacao Casino License
The first thing you'll need to understand is that the Justice Minister of Curacao is the only entity that can grant a Curacao casino license. In fact, this is done under CIGA, the official online licensing authority. This type is referred to as a Master License.
Currently, there are only four third-party organisations that have been awarded this. We have listed Master Licensees that you expect to see mentioned at Curacao casinos below.
- Antillephone NV
- Curacao Interactive Licensing N.V
- Gaming Curacao
- Cyberluck Curacao N.V.
Online gambling operators are able to apply for what is referred to as a Sublicense from any of the above. The difference between a Master and Sublicensee is that the latter is not able to grant Curacao casino licenses.
As mentioned previously, this Curacao casinos follow a 'one-for-all' approach which means that there is only one type of license to apply for. This is much simpler than an MGA license which has 4 different classes to choose from. The same Sublicense covers peripheral activities like game providers, affiliates and also white-label companies. Curacao casino licenses are considered a one-stop-shop.
Curacao Casino License Requirements
In order to be eligible, applicants will need to fulfil specific Curacao Gaming License requirements. We have come up with a list of criteria that Curacao casino license applicants will need to have in check in order to become approved.
- Integration with a local company - Only companies from the Caribean island can apply for a sublicense.
- Ownership of physical hardware - Applicants must show proof of having invested in hardware on the island. The minimum requirement is hosting a client database on the server.
- Local bank account - This is also a requirement for Crypto casinos. Payments must take place utilising the local currency.
- Investment in E-wallets and other Payment Solutions
- A detailed business plan - operators must also show how they intend to promote KYC compliance. They must also show their responsible gaming efforts to promote anti-money laundering and reduce under-age betting.
- A clear criminal record - Owners must show proof of having no criminal charges
- Proof of sufficient capital - Operators must show that they are able to finance their business plan. They will need to show all of their past accounts.
- Ultimate beneficial owner identification
These are the main requirements that all Curacao casinos will need to fulfil. Certain Master Licensees may ask for further documentation, especially when it comes to casinos in Curacao that accept bitcoin transactions.
Fulfilling the criteria above is actually the most time-consuming part of the Curacao casino license process. For instance, forming a local company can take up to 5 weeks. Once you have all the documentation in hand, becoming approved should be plain sailing and only take a few weeks.
Curacao Gambling License Countries
One of the biggest perks of Curacao casinos is their flexibility when it comes to country restrictions. Legally, there are only a few restricted countries and this actually includes the jurisdiction itself as well as other Caribbean islands such as Aruba. This license also rules out the UK and the USA.
The bigger with issue Curacao casinos comes into place when you look into payment solutions. For instance, countries such as Canada and Australia will need a local license for PSPs. This is where bitcoin casinos come into effect but we'll look at this in more detail later in our payments section.
Online Gambling License Cost
The favourable tax rates for Curacao casinos can already give you an idea of why this license is considered as the cheaper alternative. The actual cost of Curacao gaming licenses is also less when compared to others but keep in mind that there are a number of external fees to be considered too.
Firstly sub-license fees usually work out to somewhere in the range of €/$4,000 -€/$5,000 per year. In addition to this, Curacao casino applicants must pay a one time fee for submitting their proposal. Other costs include an e-zone application charge which must be paid annually.
Because Curacao casinos will need to set up a local company, fees for incorporation, management and administration also need to be considered. Additionally, there's the hardware fee mentioned previously as well as costs for hosting. Once you take all underlying costs into consideration, becoming Curacao licensed can take anywhere between €/$20,000 -€/$30,000. This is still relatively low when compared to other jurisdictions.
History of Casinos in Curacao
Over two decades ago, Curacao was considered part of the Netherlands Antilles. The Curacao casino license was actually the only iGaming license at the time. The licensing regulator Curacao eGaming, was first set up in 1996. In 2002, the Curacao Gaming Commission was also able to decentralise from the Gaming Control Board.
With the island's independence came about a massive boom in Curacao casinos online. This is mainly down to the fact that they were able to set up their own set of rules and regulations. Today, they offer a one-size-fits-all license which to many operators is as convenient as things get.
Curacao eGaming has had a number of controversies over time. What with its hands-off approach and numerous piracy scandals, the reputation of Curacao casinos has been tainted. The good news is that they have started to make improvements. For instance, 2014 saw new regulations come into place within sports betting. That is why today we are able to provide a list of Curacao casinos that can be trusted.
Nowadays, the country relies heavily on the Curacao online casinos industry. Operating with their own government, they are able to offer extremely favourable conditions for offshore gaming. Companies benefit from a tax rate of 2% on net profits. This, alongside the simplicity of their license application process, is what is driving the demand for Curacao casinos online.
To sum it up
Curacao is one of the more respectable iGaming authorities, having issued licenses to some of the market's top performing brands in the past 20 years.
However, some improvements could be made, as many still see Curacao as a liability in terms of player protection. The reality is that a local, government-regulated body for each market is the best solution. However, off-shore authorities like the MGA can serve as an example on how to improve fair play and customer protection related to foreign players.
We have no doubt that Curacao casinos will rise for the foreseeable future. The relatively low acquisition cost of a license is favorable to many new brands, and the entire process is shorted compared to acquiring an MGA or UKGC license. We will continue evaluating this casinos to make sure you have the best experience. As such, it's best to stick to our top list of the best Curacao online casinos, and you will be in safe hands.
Curacao Licensed Casinos FAQ
- Is there gambling in Curaçao?
- Yes and no. Gambling at land-based establishments is allowed in Curacao. The country also provides licensing for online casinos. Several countries are however restricted from this license and unfortunately, Curacao is one of them. We provide more information about the history of Curacao casinos earlier on.
- If I have an online gaming casino licence in Curaçao where can I operate in Europe?
- There are only a few countries that are restricted. These include places like the UK, France and the Netherlands, amongst others. One thing to keep in mind with Curacao gambling license countries, a separate PSPs license may also be necessary.
- What is the best new Curacao online casino?
- There are many new casinos out there and just because they have this license doesn't mean that they cannot be trusted. We would suggest that you check out our section on new Curacao casinos above for more details. There are several bonus packages available for new customers that you're definitely going to want to snap up.
- Can casinos in Curacao be trusted?
- Not all of them. Curacao licensed casinos have a history with fraudulent behaviour. Luckily a lot of them have cleaned up their act. Stick to our list of the best casinos in Curacao and you're good to go. We would suggest reading our reviews for more information about security.
Other Casinos licensed in Curacao
By now, you'll have seen all of the best Curacao licensed casinos that the internet has to offer. These are our top picks for a great online experience based on strict review criteria and in-depth testing.
There are plenty more operators that hold this particular accreditation though, it's one of the more popular choices with brands around the world. Here's a look at all of the casinos that have a Curacao license.