Online Gambling in Australia in 2022
Online gambling in Australia keeps growing, as thousands of players resort to foreign-based online casinos daily. You can have a look at our top list of safe online gambling sites in Australia, hand-picked by our team of in-house reviewers.
In this page, you will also learn everything about online gambling in this country. We cover the legal status, our ranking process, info on bonuses, and the top payment methods.
Top-Rated Australian Online Gambling Sites
- Bitcoin accepted
- Unique casino games collection
- No deposit bonus
- Fast payouts
- Fair terms for offers
- 24/7 live chat
- 24/7 live chat
- Over 1200 slots
- Highly secure
- Over 4000 games
- High-quality mobile site
- Valuable welcome offer
- No deposit bonus
- 24/7 customer support
- Over 2000 games
- Good welcome bonus
- Impressive range of payment methods
- In-depth games library
- Excellent offers
- Trusted payment options
- 24/7 live chat
- No deposit bonus
- Unique game selection
- Multiple welcome offers
- Good welcome bonus package
- Excellent games library
- Exceptional live casino
- Good bonus offering
- VIP club
- 24/7 live chat
How we Rate Trusted Online Gambling Sites in Australia
Have a look at our key criteria on how we rate safe and legit online gambling sites in Australia. Our expert team thoroughly reviews each online casino to ensure you have a smooth experience from your first deposit until your last.
Using this checklist, you can also learn how to evaluate sites by yourself.
Licensing and Regulation
The first thing we look at all online gambling sites in Australia is legitimate licensing. This can be usually found in the footer of the website. The operator must provide an appropriate license number you can verify on the licensor’s website, or a direct a license to the license itself.
The reputable licensors such as Malta Gaming Authority, Curacao and Kahnawake are common licensors of trusted Australian online gambling sites.
Safe Payment Methods
Having trusted payment options is crucial for Aussie punters, especially since many banks will prohibit transactions with online gambling operators.
This is why it’s important to have e-wallets, prepaid vouchers and cryptocurrency at your disposal. On top of that, we look for reasonable payout times, little to no fees and reasonable transaction limits.
If you wish to learn the specifics, we go in-depth on payment methods later on in this page.
Responsive Customer Support
The quality of customer support equals the operator’s quality in our eyes. Ultimately, it all comes down to how an online gambling site treats Australian customers. This is an easy test for you to check out yourself, as you can easily contact any casino’s support team before making a real money deposit.
Wide Choice in Games
A casino is nothing without its games which is why we make sure the Australian online gambling sites we list are partnered with trusted, safe providers. This includes quality choice in games that range in the hundreds, if not thousands. We ensure you have a solid choice in pokies, classic table games, live casino tables, and misc. games like virtual, scratch cards, keno and bingo.
Valuable Bonus Offers
The bonuses are the main distinction in offline vs online gambling. Online, the play a huge part in the player experience. The welcome bonus, for instance, is the primary attractor for new players. As such, it offers top value to players to entice them to sign-up and deposit.
We look at value of bonus, fairness of terms and similar important factors. This is to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth.
What are the Best Online Gambling Sites for Real Money?
This page is focused on general online gambling in Australia. As such, you will find trusted sites with a proven track record among thousands of Aussie punters. However, we have a special page dedicated to the best Australian real money casinos, where you will find a top list of the best of the best.
New Online Casinos in Australia
The fact is that new Australian gambling sites are often the best choice for Aussie players because of many factors. They offer improved bonuses, better customer support, a fresh and modern design, and more – which we discuss in-depth in our page dedicated to this topic.
Is Online Gambling Legal in Australia?
The Australian government has a rigorous view on gambling, which has been backed up by the public’s similar views. At the turn of our century, online gambling in Australia was unregulated, so players could easily find online gambling games for real money.
This changed with the Interactive Gambling Act of 2001, which put a stop to all online gambling activities offered to Australian customers – from inside and outside the country as well.
The law clearly states that under the IGA, “it is an offence to:”
- provide a prohibited interactive gambling service to customers in Australia.
- provide an unlicensed regulated interactive gambling service to customers in Australia; and
- provide an Australian-based interactive gambling service to customers in designated countries.
For better or worse, Australian gambling laws are crystal clear and alternative interpretations are not possible. However, it’s important to point out that this act targets providers – not players. Meaning, as a player you cannot get in legal trouble for gambling online.
This is distinctly laid out in the Interactive Gambling Act with the following sentence:
- “The Act aims to limit the harmful effects of gambling on the Australian community. It targets the providers of interactive gambling, not their potential or actual customers.
The Act goes on to explain that players are unable to get guarantees of timely payouts from offshore operators. And. that the government can’t legally protect players who decide to play at pursue online gambling for real money at offshore sites.
Despite all of this, Australian punters continue to gamble online, with a reported spending of over AU$800 million in 2010 alone.
Are Online Gambling Winnings Taxable in Australia?
The Australian government looks at gambling winnings are luck, not “hard-work” or a product of skill. This includes professional poker players as well, who are also not subject to taxation.
As such, players don’t have to pay taxes on their online gambling winnings.
When it comes to land-based operators, the burden of taxes is laid on operators rather than the players.
Online Gambling Games for Real Money in Australia
Typically, online gambling sites in Australia offer a variety of games, often ranging in the thousands. In comparison to land-based casinos, the world of online gambling is richer in variety and quality.
Typically, pokies are the focal point of any online casino, making up 90% of the gaming selection. Overall, however, you will find:
- Video and Classic Pokies
- Table Games (Blackjack, Roulette, Baccarat)
- Poker (Texas Hold’em, Caribbean Stud, Three Card Poker)
- Video Poker (Deuces Wild, Jacks or Better, Joker Poker)
- Live Dealer Tables (Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, Baccarat, Game Shows)
- Casual Games (Scratch Cards, Keno, Bingo, Virtual Sports)
Trusted Payment Methods at Australian Online Casinos
When engaging in online gambling for real money, you will want to resort to e-wallets, prepaid cards and cryptocurrencies.
These payment options offer ease of use, convenience, and cost-effectiveness. Players can use various payment methods to fund their e-wallets and use the e-wallets to withdraw via ATM or different means.
The e-wallets Neteller and Skrill used to be favorites, but they have been since restricted for Australia customers. That is a consequence of the government’s active efforts against online gambling. In fact, Skrill was faced with multi-million retroactive fees for previously offering these services to players.
Nonetheless, many alternatives are available to Aussie players in multiple categories.
In the e-wallet section, the most popular options are ecoPayz and MuchBetter, which are available across the globe but especially preferred by Australians. In some cases, you can even resort to PayPal as well, but in reality Australian gambling sites that accept PayPal are not common.
Prepaid cards are extremely popular since they are not connected to bank accounts or any personal information for that matter. You can simply purchase a prepaid card, and use it to deposit.
The downside is that prepaid cards are unavailable for withdrawals. In that case, an alternative option will be used at the operator’s discretion.
The most common prepaid vouchers at Australian gambling sites are Neosurf and U-Pay.
Credit/Debit Cards & Bank Transfer
As we said, many casinos restrict debit cards – but not all. In fact, sometimes you can resort to VISA and MasterCard to make online gambling transactions. In general, it will be much easier for you to deposit through credit and debit cards.
As we previously said, withdrawals can be problematic since many Australian banks refuse to deal with online casino operators. This sometimes extends to deposits as well, completely restricting your use of debit or credit cards – depending on your bank of choice.
An alternative to debit/credit cards is POLi, which facilitates transactions between your bank and the online casinos. However, this payment option is becoming a rarity as well.
Cryptocurrencies are increasing in popularity. They offer unique benefits that especially favor Aussie players because of:
- Total anonymity
- Low fees
- Extremely fast cashouts
- High transaction limits
The downside can be ease of use, or its lack thereof.
The most popular cryptocurrencies at online gambling sites in Australia are:
- Bitcoin Cash
Bonuses at Australia’s Online Gambling Sites
As we mentioned, bonuses are integral part of online casinos in Australia and worldwide.
There are several types of bonuses you can claim at an online casino. In many cases, you will be able to continuously claim bonuses for as long as you keep playing.
The welcome bonus offers the best value. It is exclusive to new players, as it is a primary incentive offered by operators to entice newcomers. You can only claim this bonus once, hence its good value.
At an Australian online casino, the typical welcome bonus offers a 100% or 200% match on your first deposit. Sometimes, you will be offered a welcome package that spans across your first several deposits.
No Deposit Bonuses
The no deposit bonus is the most popular, but also the rarest among online gambling sites in Australia.
The reason for this is obvious. This bonus type is essentially free money, requiring no investment on the player’s part.
You can win real money using this bonus; however, your winnings will be limited. In general, welcome bonuses offer better value and a higher chance of bigger winnings.
We list the top-rated Australian no deposit bonuses in our special no deposit page. We also discover the inner workings of this bonus type, key bonus terms and similar important factors.
Free spins are extremely common at Aussie gambling sites. They offered to new and regular players alike, and quite frequently to boot. These bonuses provide solid value, especially when paired with deposit bonus cash as part of a welcome package.
Feel free to browse the best free spins offers in Australia - with or without a deposit, in our dedicated page on this topic.
Existing Player Promotions
Existing player promotions include deposit match bonuses, free spins, reload bonuses and frequently cashback bonuses.
Many of these bonuses are often part of a loyalty or VIP scheme for the most loyal players.
Today, thousands of Australians gamble online everyday, as huge sums are spent at foreign-based online casinos.
This leads us to a simple conclusion, that the government would benefit from regulating the market. They may not tax players, but the taxes on operators can bring in considerable income. At the same time, Aussie players would benefit from a local, regulated market and improved player protection.
As it stands now, foreign sites are the only choice for casino players. On the flipside, these sites offer the finest gaming libraries on the market. The downside is that some payment options are restricted to Aussies, but plenty of options are still on offer.
Having said that, feel free to browse trusted Australian gambling sites and make your choice. You can also read our in-depth reviews to learn more on each brand.
Online Gambling in Australia - FAQs
- Is gambling illegal in Australia?
- Online gambling at foreign sites is not illegal in Australia. However, it is illegal for operators, foreign or local-based, to offer online gambling services to Australians. As such, thousands of Australians are technically legally gambling at foreign online casinos. The Australian law on online gambling clearly states that they only pursue operators, and not players.
- Where can I find legit gambling sites for Australian players?
- We offer a list of trusted and vetted online gambling sites that cater specifically to Aussie customers. These sites have been thoroughly reviewed by our team of experts to ensure complete security, smooth payments, quality customer support and a wide selection of pokies and table games.
- Which payment methods can I use to play at Australian online casinos?
- You have many options at your disposal, including e-wallets, prepaid vouchers, debit cards and cryptocurrencies. The most popular payment options such as ecoPayz and U-Pay are fairly common at Aussie gambling sites. If you opt for cryptocurrency, you can choose between several such as Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum and Litecoin. In general, e-wallets are the preferred option of players because of the fastest withdrawal times.
- Can I claim casino bonuses at Australian online casinos?
- Absolutely, every online casino in Australia offers various bonus types to new and regular players alike. The most valuable bonus you can claim is reserved for new customers, also known as the welcome bonus. This bonus type will typically match your first deposit, dollar for dollar. You can also look forward to free spins offers on a regular basis. What's more, some online casinos offer no deposit bonuses, letting players enjoy real-money play - risk-free.
- What kind of games can I play at Australian gambling sites?
- Australia's online gambling sites offer a variety of games that range in the thousands. Typically, you can expect hundreds of pokies, table games, live dealer tables, scratch cards, keno, bingo, lottery and more. Some online casinos have dedicated poker rooms and also run regular tournaments on games like pokies. These sites are partnered with market-leading software providers, and new releases are added on a regular basis.
Other Online Casinos in Australia
Further up this page our experts gave you the best online casinos in Australia. These were chosen after a strict review process. You can trust these top choices.
Here is a full list of online casinos in Australia as well.